Sleep is fundamental to our health and well being. For anyone that’s looking to improve their health, they need to start first by addressing their sleep. Once a person’s length and depth of sleep is adequate, then everything else will improve such as hormone balance, adrenal function, weight-management, cognitive function, healing and so on. Sleep also improves mental health, physical energy and ability to cope with daily stressors. With all this in mind I am going to share with you some simple tips for falling asleep when you naturally should and improving your sleep quality once you actually are asleep.
1. Get outside in the morning especially when it’s sunny. This helps your bodies circadian rhythm fall into place so that you get sufficiently tired later and can sleep.
2. Stop drinking caffeine after 2pm and only drink it before that if you actually need an energy boost. I’d rather you weren’t relying on caffeine for an energy fix but if you need one that have a tea or coffee. Don’t drink caffeine for the sake of it though, instead opt for a decaf. Caffeine is a drug and should be used as such – you wouldn’t take a painkiller if you weren’t in pain so don’t drink caffeine unless you are tired. My favourite thing for cognitive function is hot cacao with a dessertspoon of coconut oil and a sprinkle of turmeric and cinnamon.
3. Stop using a lit up screen device like a smart phone or laptop about 1-2 hours before bed. You can test this amount of time out for yourself to see what works for you. The best pre-bed activities are reading, taking a bath, visualisation techniques, meditation, stretching and progressive muscle relaxation.
4. Keep the curtain open until sunset has completely finished and it’s not going to get any darker outside. Again this cues your circadian rhythm that sleep time is getting nearer.
5. Open a window or ensure the room you sleep in is well ventilated. Oxygen has many therapeutic benefits including pain reduction, healing and circulatory improvements. The cleaner the air you breath when you sleep, the better you will sleep.
NATURAL SLEEP AIDS: Here are my favourite natural sleep aids that I use on a frequent basis. Many of these are great for anxiety too and help calm the mind:
Need help getting to sleep or are you waking up frequently in the night? Contact me here to see how I could help you.