Have you ever bought something accidentally?! What about those 2 for 1 offers or buy one and get the second half price? Well it’s exactly one of these types of offers that lead to me buying hemp seeds. Whilst Hemp Oil has long been a favourite of mine due to its anti-inflammatory properties, hemp seeds are a new addition to my daily diet. I think they work brilliantly in bread but can also be added to breakfast cereals, yoghurt, salads and energy bars and biscuits.
Hemp seeds contain an array of vitamins and minerals. They contain both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce LDL cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Hemp seeds are filling and can help reduce sugar cravings. People suffering with one of the following conditions may benefit from adding hemp oil or seeds to their daily diet -inflammatory conditions e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, skin allergies and breast pain, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure, MS, obesity and mental health issues.
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoon sweet mixed spices
4 desert spoons coconut
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup bean & pea flour mix
1 cup mixed chia, hemp & flaxseed
400ml coconut milk
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease a loaf baking tin with coconut oil or organic butter.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Then stir in the lemon zest.
3. Next, make a well in the middle and pour in the coconut milk and lemon juice. Mix it in well until you have a medium consistency batter.
4. Let the seeds, coconut and flour absorb the coconut milk & lemon juice for about 5 minutes (this will thicken the batter) before emptying the mixture into the loaf tin. Spread the mixture evenly across the tin using the back of a metal spoon. Then bang the tin down on the work surface a few times to push out any air bubbles.
5. Bake the bread for approximately 35 minutes depending on the flours you have used in your recipe and the type of coconut milk you used.
6. Remove and allow to cool on a wire wrack. Serve with Chia and Honey Marmalade, duck pate, cream cheese or avocado. Alternatively you could dip your bread into olive oil and basic glaze.